06 Dec LOOKING BACK AND LOOKING FORWARD
Alongside so many small businesses, the past year has been a difficult one for Lindani. The crippled economy, the income squeeze on our target-market, the emigration of a number of our guests and the drought have all taken their toll. On top of this, almost every farmer now believes they can supplement income by venturing into the hospitality business. With the competition on the rise, we had to come up with something lucrative to offer our guests.
This has caused us to take a long hard look at ourselves with the help of some outsiders with many years’ experience in the hospitality business. From this it is evident that…
- We need to refresh some of the lodges, particularly the older ones.
- Improve our maintenance by introducing a planned maintenance system.
- Make our marketing much more focussed.
All of these we will undertake as soon as 2020 gets underway.
There has also been a debate about the Lindani product; the question being whether a beautiful Waterberg farm, comfortable lodges, privacy and the freedom to get out there into the bush constitute a sufficient magnet to persuade someone who has never been here to choose Lindani over a mainstream destination. Many of our guests urge us not to change anything. At the same time all sorts of possible new magnets have been proposed.
Lindani has developed organically over 21 years within the capability of its skills. It will continue to develop organically and we have exciting thoughts on a possible new phase that will make Lindani sustainable. It is essential that we do not clutch at gimmicks, that we stick to our values and ethos and play to our strengths.
We continue to believe that, in this troubled world where life in the major urban cities are so demanding that there is a valid role for a Waterberg mountain bush-veld getaway destination where
- Families can strengthen the bonds – so vital to mastering the demands of life in a modern city.
- Mountain bikers can ride the very best trails instead of struggling along rough kerbsides with streams of cars rushing by.
- Hikers can drink in the wonders around them with no other hikers in sight.
- Trail runners can test themselves in beautiful surroundings.
- Pensioners can be safe at a price they can afford.
- Guests can tailor their package to their budget.
We would love to hear the thoughts of our many loyal guests.
We wish you all a wonderful Christmas and a year in 2020 that will amaze you with all its positives.
Sam van Coller